GASTRIC SLEEVE SURGERY
Sleeve gastrectomy surgery is the most rapidly growing procedure in Australia. Surgeons who previously performed gastric band surgery are now performing sleeve gastrectomies. This procedure offers patients long term results with minimal complications.
This method works by restricting the amount of food that can be consumed with any given meal. Normally the human stomach can store up to two litres in volume before it distends enough to give a sensation of fullness.
The procedure involves dividing the stomach along the inner curve, removing 80% of the stomach and leaving behind only a sleeve. The gastric sleeve is much smaller than the natural stomach, therefore restricting the amount of food that can be eaten before it distends, giving a sensation of fullness.
Ghrelin is a hunger hormone secreted predominantly by the stomach. By removing 80% of the stomach, the amount of ghrelin secreted between meals is significantly reduced, hence patients who’ve had the sleeve gastrectomy don’t feel the need to snack between meals.
Weight loss following the implantation of the gastric sleeve could be impressive. At our Sydney clinic, patients may see substantial weight loss, which may occur in the first 12 months.* Some may also experienced reversal or improvement in diabetes, hypertension, and obstructive sleep apnoea.*
Who is gastric sleeve surgery best suited to?
- Patients who are looking for a less invasive procedure to the gastric bypass.
- Age groups usually include patients from ages 18-65.
- Weight loss for IVF
- Treatment of medical condition such as diabetes, hypertension, and sleep apnoea in patients with morbid obesity with BMI greater than 30
- Morbidly obese with polycystic ovarian syndrome.
- Revisional surgery for failed gastric band
What are some of the benefits?
- May be less expensive than other procedures*
- Less potential for complications
- Could have weight loss results*
- May help in good long term results*
- Patients may not need to diet
- Portions control
- May help eliminate or relieve symptoms of many health conditions (e.g. diabetes)*