MBBS FRACS Consultant Upper Gastrointestinal, Laparoscopic, and Weight LossSurgeon
Dr. James Chau is a Consultant Bariatric Surgeon, specialising in weight loss surgery and revisional bariatric surgery.
He has accreditation at St George Private, Wollongong Private, Dubbo Private, and Kareena Private Hospitals.
He is a member of the St George Private Hospital Bariatric Unit in Sydney. St George Private Hospital is a Centre of Excellence in Bariatric Surgery and one of the leading centres in Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery. The Hospital performed more than 1000 weight loss procedures per year.
Dr. Chau is a graduate of The University of Sydney, and trained as a specialist weight loss surgeon in St George Private Hospital. He was accepted into surgical training program in his internship year and completed Advanced Surgical Training in the minimal required time of four years.
He holds Fellowships in Hepatobiliary Surgery and Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery and Bariatric Surgery. During his Fellowship year at St George Private Hospital, he gained considerable experience in gastric band surgery, gastric sleeve, gastric bypass surgery, complex revisional bariatric surgery, and advanced laparoscopic surgery.
Dr. Chau is a member of the following professional associations
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Obesity Surgery Society of Australia and New Zealand
- International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders
- Australia & New Zealand Gastric & Oesophageal Surgery Association
- Australia and New Zealand Hepatic, Pancreatic & Biliary Association
- Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract
- Australian Medical Association
Dr. Chau presented in the following National and International meetings
- 3rd Annual International Consensus Summit for Sleeve Gastrectomy. Topic. Antral resection techniques for Sleeve Gastrectomy. New York. December 2-4, 2010
- 80th Annual Scientific Congress. Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. Topic. Revisional sleeve gastrectomy for failed laparoscopic adjustable gastric bands. Adelaide. May 2-6, 2011
- 80th Annual Scientific Congress. Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Topic. Short term results comparing antral sparing vs partial antrectomy for laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy. Adelaide. May 2-6, 2011
Dr. Chau's main interests are weight loss and metabolic surgery. He has researched extensively in gastric sleeve and revisional surgery for failed gastric bands and has presented scientific papers in international and national bariatric surgical conferences.
Since commencing practise, Dr Chau has performed hundreds of bariatric and revisional bariatric cases with results comparable to international standards.
As recognition of his outstanding results, Dr. Chau was awarded Surgeon of Excellence in Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery by Surgical Review Corporation.